Wednesday 18 April 2012

In the beginning ...

I've lived in England now for almost 20 years, and it really has been a great home to me.

I swore when I left Dublin, that I was different, that I'd be back in Ireland's bosom again in a few months. As the song says: "Months turn into years. How quick they pass". Now almost 20 years later, I've started this blog to tell some of my story.

Ireland has many faults, and I am a huge critic but being Irish means that you have a unique view of the world that others often envy. And like so many others, I always think fondly of my homeland.

I was one of the last who left Ireland, through forced emigration. That probably made it all the more difficult watching Ireland grow as a country, as I scratched through my twenties trying to forge a life in London, hanging out at the Swan in Stockwell or the Archway Tavern in north London dreaming of a country that I would find very different if I ever went home.

That distance strained most of my friendships, as every time I went home we had fewer and fewer common stories to talk about and we grew apart.

And so I took a job that allowed me to travel to strange and wonderful corners of the world: Israel, Europe, the US, Saudi, the Far East, you name it.

The taste for Lyons Tea and Tayto crisps soon passes, but the feeling of being Irish in Exile never does

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.